What Is a Moving Contract?
You NEED a moving contract.
If you’re moving without a moving contract, you are making a big mistake, and you could lose thousands of dollars for it.
Moving contracts are written agreements between you and your moving company that establish the details of your move, including the price.
In this article, we’ll discuss why you should have a moving contract, and what should be in it.
Why Do I Need a Moving Contract?
Some moves actually require a written contract ($5,000+). However, even those move that don’t require a moving contract should have one.
The reason to have a moving contract is simple: contracts prevent arguments. If you have the terms of your agreement in writing, neither party can argue it (well, you can, but it’s a lot harder to say you thought the move was $3,000 when you signed for $4,000).
If you don’t have a contract, your moving company might hit you with hidden charges and price increases.
Form of a Moving Contract
There is no one-size-fits-all moving contract, because all moves are different. However, here are the basic parts in all moving contracts:
- Basic details – Names, date of move, time, addresses…
- Services – What will your mover do, and who will do it? Will three men show up to your door to load your stuff? Will two movers pack first? Will they drive your stuff to your new home? Put it all in writing.
- Pricing terms – How you will be charged (hourly, by the mile, etc) and at what rate.
- Pricing – Some contracts are open-ended based on the applicable rate; others include caps, flat rates and other prices that are set in stone.
- Special considerations – There are many potential hidden charges. If they apply to your move, make sure you address them. For example, movers will often charge hundreds of dollars if they need to store your stuff for a day. Lean more about what to include in your moving contract.
- Signatures – Both parties need to sign and date the contract.
Again, there is no universal moving contract. To prevent disputes, make sure your contract addresses the nitty gritty of your particular move.
CHECK OUT OUR SAMPLE MOVING CONTRACTS